ORIGINAL HUMBOLDT — Saskatchewan Lieutenant-Governor Vaughn Schofield (centre, front) unveiled a plaque and art installation at Original Humboldt on June 8. She is flanked by Humboldt MLA Donna Harpauer, Chief Darcy Bear of Whitecap Dakota First Nation, Humboldt Mayor Rob Muench, members of the Canadian Forces and the Governor General’s Horse Guards, and members of the Original Humboldt committee. The site of Original Humboldt, which is located approximately 10 km southwest of the present-day city of Humboldt, was built as a telegraph station in 1878 on the Carlton Trail, the main overland route for Métis Red River cart freighters linking Fort Garry to the east and Fort Edmonton to the west. Humboldt Telegraph Station also served as a military camp during the North-West Resistance of 1885. The 80-acre site sits on what was once Whitecap Dakota land.